Methodism began over 200 years ago in England, as a revival movement within the Anglican Church. Brothers John and Charles Wesley, both Anglican priests, organized Methodism and served as its first leaders.
From the beginning, the Wesleyan movement which became today’s United Methodist Church has emphasized “holiness of heart and life,” the vital link between a deep personal relationship with God and active love of neighbor.
Our own local church has been a presence in the New Haven community since 1886 when a dozen residents, along with their pastor, Reverend R.L. Marsh, organized a Methodist congregation on our current property in the Granniss Corners neighborhood. In 1892, the present building was formally dedicated as Saint Andrew’s Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1965, Park Methodist Episcopal Church in New Haven’s Morris Cove area joined with Saint Andrew’s. Our current Park Fellowship Hall commemorates that union. More recently, in 2009, Saint Andrew’s received the membership of the former East Pearl Street United Methodist Church in the nearby Fair Haven section of the city.
Today we are blessed by the strengths and traditions of all three historic congregations as we continue to worship.
These are the pastors who have served our church:
|Rev. R.L. Marsh||1886||Rev. Eunchun Kim||1990-1992|
|Rev. George A. Bronson||1909-1912||Rev. Gina Giannini||1992-1994|
|Rev. Francis W. Carlson||1954-?||Rev. Marjorie Evans-DiCarpio||1994-1996|
|Rev. A. V. Huff||1960-1961||Rev. Gil Ott||1996-1997|
|Rev. Robert Cave||1967-1968||Rev. Kermit Morrison||1998-2007|
|Rev. Arthur Yost||1969-1976||Pastor Carol Downs||2007-2011|
|Rev. Eric Rasmussen||1977-1978||Rev. Paul Goodburn||2011-2012|
|Rev. Michael Haggin||1979-1982||Rev. Rachel Kim||2012-2014|
|Rev. Joseph Versteeg||1982-1984||Pastor Ximena A. Varas||2014-|
|Rev. Alexis Sidorak||1985-1987|
|Rev. Linda Bates||1988-1989|